This project is a national model for the future of clean energy combining solar with energy storage... This is the perfect project! it has social value, technical innovation, and further renewable integration for the grid.
Dr. Imre Gyuk, DOE - Energy Storage Program Manager
- Patriot Solar Group worked in conjunction with GroSolar on a 2.5 MW array in the state of Vermont. The Rutland Vermont Solar Installation with battery backed system will supply a local school and emergency shelter located nearby. It includes 4MW of battery sotrage: both lithium ion and lead acid which eases the process of integrating the solar energy into the local grid and can provide endless, resilient power in case of an average grid outage. The ballasted ground mount system allows for a non-penetrating solution to allow construction on landfills such as this one.
- PSG faced a problem with the uneven terrain, however, spacers were added to even panel height and make the array seem straight and have an appealing visual appearance. The ten acre field was set at a 15 degree tilt angle. This project is one of the first solar-only micro grids in the nation, and the first to provide full back-up to an emergency shelter on the distribution network.
- The overall goal of Patriot Solar Group and GroSolar is to provide solar storage and micro technologies that are able to revolutionize resilient power, bringing completely clean, locally-generated power to communities.
- Incorporate a system that uses a non-penetrating ballasted ground mount to place on a capped landfill while meeting safety regulations.
- Install an aesthetically pleasing array that allows for continual rows with minimal dips, optimizing energy generation.
- Meet required deadline for installation of racking metal and panel placement.
- Spacers were added between the rail and truss of low lying areas to ensure a symmetrical array.
- The required deadline for racking and panel installation was met.
- The array was tied to a battery system that supplied a local school and emergency shelter located nearby.